This financial organisation took me on to make improvements to their VMware and IBM N series (NetApp) storage infrastructure. This included: –
- Upgrading to VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus 5.1 from vSphere 4.1
- Implementation of VMware Site Recovery Manager 5.1 to establish a disaster recovery strategy providing a 1 hour Recovery Point Object (RPO) and 1 hour Recovery Time Objective (RTO).
- Implementation of Capacity Management into the Operations Team by use of: –
- VMware vCenter Operations Manager
- IBM N series OnCommand Core (Data Fabric Manager / Operations Manager)
- Solarwinds Virtualisation Manager
- Solarwinds Storage Manager
- Streamlining the backup strategy utilising IBM N series snapshot technology and Commvault Simpana for offsite encrypted tape backups
- Implementation of best practice settings on the IBM N series CIFS, NFS and iSCSI storage to provide a balance between optimum performance, resilience and wasted space.
As well as making these improvements I also managed the virtual environment including
- Building, configuring and deploying virtual images
- Developing scripts to manage the virtual images once deployed
This virtual environment ran a mixture of COTS middleware and custom applications.17